Level 5 restrictions are now in place in South Australia. Continue to check Contact tracing and exposure locations as the list of exposure sites is updated.

South Australia is currently under Level 5 restrictions.

The intent of the Level 5 – Stay at home restrictions is to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by minimising the movement of people.

Level 5 restrictions

You are required to stay at home, except for the following reasons:

If you leave home you must wear a mask (unless you are outdoors and able to comply with physical distancing requirements).

Authorised (essential) workers

An authorised worker is a person who performs work that is essential for the continued operation of any of the following:
(By extension, the following businesses are permitted to open.)

  • a grocery store, supermarket, butcher, bakery, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger, including delivery services associated with such stores
  • an indoor or outdoor market, but only for the purpose of the sale of groceries or fresh food and not for the purposes of the sale or supply of food or beverages prepared on site (whether for consumption on site or take away)
  • a restaurant, café, bar, hotel, club or winery or premises commonly known as a takeaway shop but only for the purposes of the provision of:
    • takeaway food or beverages
    • a meal delivery service
  • a bottle shop
  • a tobacconist shop (or vape stores)
  • a financial institution
  • a post office
  • a newsagent
  • a pharmacy
  • a hardware store
  • a petrol station
  • a distribution centre
  • online or phone ordering and collection or delivery of orders for any retail goods
  • a pet store
  • a veterinary clinic and related services (such as on farm visits and animal care services), where a genuine animal welfare issue exists or for the purpose of artificial insemination of an animal
  • an abattoir, meat, seafood or poultry processing plant
  • the following emergency services:
    • fire fighting services
    • paramedical services
    • ambulance services
    • medical retrieval services (including Royal Flying Doctor Services)
    • services provided by South Australia Police, protective security and Sherriff's officers
    • State Emergency Services
    • military and defence services deployed for activities in South Australia
    • State and national security services
  • essential infrastructure (within the meaning of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016) and essential services (within the meaning of the Essential Services Act 1981) and other services required to maintain and protect human health, safety and wellbeing including electricity, gas, water, sewerage, drainage and liquid fuels and refinery operations; waste and recycling services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations), but only those services that are provided to commercial contractors; and construction, maintenance and repair of schools, roads and other essential infrastructure
  • critical repairs or works to any facility, site or premises where required for emergency or safety or to maintain and ensure the integrity of critical plant, equipment or assets, including partially completed works, that would otherwise deteriorate (and including any associated matter such as any necessary assessment for insurance purposes, or engineering or other expert assessment or inspection)
  • maintenance and security of food and beverage facilities and supplies at any business premises or sporting facility
  • greenkeeper services that are essential to maintain a playing surface at any sporting facility
  • services necessary for the security of any premises
  • mining activity or services including coal mining, oil and gas extraction, metallic and ore mining, non-metallic mineral mining, and quarrying, petroleum production, remote and isolated exploration, and including any processing, refining and furnace operations
  • locksmith services
  • vehicle towing, repair and mechanical services
  • roadside assistance services
  • assessments for motor vehicle insurance claims
  • National Heavy Vehicle Regulator and National Rail Safety Regulator compliance activities
  • the provision of carparks for the purpose of:
    • persons undertaking duties as authorised workers; and
    • supporting operations referred to in this definition;
  • Parliament and Parliamentary services (including members of Parliament and persons necessary for the continued operation of Parliament of South Australia or the Commonwealth)
  • activities of members or office bearers of a council, council committee, or subsidiary of a council (all within the meaning of the Local Government Act 1999, and other persons working or otherwise engaged in official duties, at an ordinary or special meeting of the council, council committee or subsidiary
  • government or local government services (whether provided by government, local government or outsourced) determined to be essential by the relevant Chief Executive
  • activities at an office building that are necessary for the use of the premises by authorised workers in accordance with this Schedule
  • activities at a university that are necessary for the use of the premises by authorised workers in accordance with this Schedule
  • a person who is critical to, and involved in, the State’s COVID-19 response (including hotel quarantine, testing and vaccination services)
  • court or tribunal services or services provided by similar bodies (such as a commission)
  • services related to the administration of justice, including functions carried out by the sheriff (and sheriff's officers), prison transfers and other services at any prison, training centre of other place of custody
  • essential legal services that are not able to be provided remotely or electronically, including urgent legal matters such as executing a will in person
  • consular and diplomatic services
  • Australian Border Force and Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services
  • Defence manufacturing
  • journalist and media services
  • specialist services at telecommunications stores to support telecommunications as a critical service during the COVID-19 pandemic
  • funeral directors and forensic conveyancing services
  • faith leaders broadcasting services or ceremonies at places of worship
  • a factory or facility that is not able to be shut down without causing damage or loss to plant and equipment or that is involved in the production of food, beverages, vehicle or other essential parts or supplies or any plant, equipment or parts necessary for the purposes of any other authorised worker to undertake their duties
  • urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises e.g. The performance of emergency plumbing services or Centrelink services, Food banks
  • public transport, including taxis, rideshare and other public passenger services
  • horse or greyhound racing (including riders, veterinary and other support staff but not spectators)
  • air transport (including the operation of airports)
  • maritime services (including the operation of ports
  • freight services (including postal and courier services)
  • essential health services
  • a blood bank or other bank services for the collection, storage and provision of donated biological material
  • laboratory testing services
  • COVID-19 vaccination services
  • other immunisation and vaccination services, including providers of pharmacy immunisations and Aboriginal healthcare services
  • care services for people with particular needs because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness, a chronic health condition or other essential support services (such as family violence and sexual assault services) (in accordance with the Emergency Management (Residential Aged Care Facilities No 36) (COVID-19) Direction 2021 (if applicable), or a direction that substitutes for that direction)
  • childcare, early childhood education and primary and secondary schooling services. This includes early learning centres, kindergartens, preschools and family day care providers
  • maternal and child health workers providing essential care to newborns or at-risk babies and children
  • essential child protection services
  • activities at a hotel, motel or other accommodation facility that are necessary for the normal operation of accommodation services
  • truckstops and roadhouses for the provision of food for seated consumption at, or take away from, a truckstop or roadhouse by a truck driver
  • production and distribution of:
    • food and groceries for sale by a grocery store, supermarket, butcher, bakery, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market)
    • liquor for sale wholesale or online or by telephone or at premises commonly known as a bottle shop
    • medical and pharmaceutical products
    • disability and health equipment, mobility devices (including products for health patients)
    • commercial operations that supply goods or services necessary to support any business activity that may be carried out in accordance with this direction or an associated direction to support the export of goods and services from South Australia for the implementation of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Manufacturing of personal protective equipment or hand sanitiser; dry cleaning services.
  • primary industries but only time critical tasks where delay would jeopardise the present or future availability of food or other essential goods or services.

Essential health services

Essential health services include:

  • non-discretionary surgery and procedures can continue within a hospital, noting that testing performed pre-operatively by private hospitals on low risk and/or asymptomatic individuals should not impact public swabbing resources and capacity
  • any health services provided in a hospital
  • any health services provided by a general practitioner or specialist medical practitioner
  • any health services provided at a hospital radiology service (other than routine screening services)
  • procedures and surgical treatments undertaken by dentists in private and public health care centres (consistent with Level 4 COVID-19 Dental Service Restrictions published by the Australian Dental Association)
  • procedures to complete:
    • any cycle of IVF treatment that a patient has commenced before the commencement of this direction
    • any procedure required for the preservation of eggs for future IVF where required health treatment will render eggs non-viable
  • termination of pregnancy
  • drug and alcohol services
  • the following allied health services:
    • allied health services provided by allied health professionals working as authorised workers in hospitals providing critical clinical care or as directed by the hospital
    • allied health services provided by allied health professionals working in private practice providing care through telehealth and other virtual care options
    • students, medical/nursing/midwifery/allied health on placement providing essential care in hospitals or through telehealth
    • allied health services in the aged care or disability sector
    • allied health services for relief of chronic pain
  • the following mental health services:
    • hospital emergency or inpatient psychiatric services
    • allied health professionals providing mental health services in hospital
    • private consultant psychiatry practice by telehealth or by face-to-face (but only in the instance of emergency clinical care for potentially life-threatening situations where telehealth is not clinically appropriate)
    • allied health professionals providing mental health services in community settings by telehealth or by face-to-face (but only in the instance of emergency clinical care for potentially life-threatening situations where telehealth is not clinically appropriate).

Essential goods

Essential goods are only permitted to be obtained at:

  • a grocery store, supermarket, butcher, bakery, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger
  • an indoor or outdoor market (but only to obtain groceries or fresh food and not for the purposes of the purchase or consumption of food or beverages prepared on site)
  • a restaurant, café, bar, hotel, club, winery or premises commonly known as a takeaway shop but only for the purposes of obtaining takeaway food or beverages
  • premises commonly known as a bottle shop or a tobacconist (includes vape stores)
  • a financial institution
  • consular and diplomatic services
  • a post office
  • a newsagency
  • a pharmacy
  • a hardware store
  • a petrol station
  • vehicle and mechanical repair services
  • a distribution centre
  • a pet store or veterinary clinic
  • urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises
  • premises to collect online or phone retail orders.

Only 1 person per household per day may leave the premises for the above reasons, unless accompanied by a dependant or a person for whom they provide care if it is not practicable for such dependant or person to remain at home.

Shops may open and close at any time for the purposes of the provision of essential goods or services.

Goods may be loaded and unloaded at any time for the purposes of the provision of essential goods. A person may leave home to arrange collection and unloading of freight en route at the time of the commencement of this direction.

Essential services

The Essential Services you can leave your house for include:

  • obtaining essential health services
  • obtaining a COVID-19 vaccination
  • undergoing a COVID-19 test
  • accessing childcare services, or primary or secondary education for a child if:
    • the child is a child of an authorised worker
    • the child resides in the care of the State
    • there are circumstances of vulnerability determined by a government agency, school, funded family or family violence service, and education or care outside the family home is considered necessary.

Care and compassionate reasons

Care and other compassionate reasons that you may leave home include:

  • for the purposes of shared parenting arrangements, whether the arrangements are under a court order or otherwise
  • to provide care and support to a relative or other person:
    • who has particular needs because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness or a chronic health condition
    • because of matters relating to the relative or other person's health (including mental health or pregnancy)
  • to escape harm or the risk of harm, including harm relating to family violence or violence of another person at home
  • to provide end-of-life support to a member of the person's immediate family
  • to provide child-minding assistance (whether on a paid or voluntary basis), so that the parent or guardian of a child can leave their own home:
    • for an approved reason to leave home
    • for the purpose of undertaking duties as an authorised worker
  • to ensure adequate supply of food to, and care and exercise of, animals that are situated away from home if no other person is available at that place to provide the food, care or exercise
  • A single person over the age of 16, who does not live with a spouse or other partner is able to visit another person (including  a friend, relative, support person or a person they are in a relationship with) if:
    • The single person is the only person in the house at the time at the visit; or
    • The single person is a sole parent and the only other people present in the single person’s home at time of the visit are children; or
    • The people were in a relationship prior to the Level 5, Stay at Home Direction.
  • However, you cannot visit multiple single people under this clause.

    Note- this is also applicable in reverse where the single person can visit the other person’s house.


You may leave home for exercise (including to walk a pet):

  • for up to 90 minutes per day
  • within 2.5 km of your home (or within 2.5 km of your work if you exercise immediately before or after your shift)
  • with people who live with you (or a person who works with you if you exercise immediately before or after your shift)

Other reasons to leave the home

There are other reasons which a person may leave home, these include-

  • in an emergency
  • on a day on which the fire rating is severe or higher, to take preparatory steps for the purpose of moving, and to move by the most direct and practicable means to another suitable premises
  • to comply with a legal requirement that must be fulfilled during the defined period, including, but not limited to, attending:
    • a police station
    • a court or other premises for purposes relating to the justice or law enforcement system
  • to donate blood or other blood related products
  • if the person is permitted to enter another State or Territory, for the purposes of entering that State or Territory
  • if the person is permitted to leave Australia, for the purposes of leaving Australia


Masks (covering the mouth and nose) are required in:

  • High risk settings
  • Health care services
  • Passenger transport services
  • Public places (Note: A mask is not required to be worn outdoors if the physical distancing principle is complied with).

A requirement that a person wear a face mask does not apply to a person:

  • if they have a relevant medical condition, including problems with their breathing, a serious condition of the face, a disability or a mental health condition (Evidence of a relevant medical condition must be produced on request)
  • in circumstances where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication, such as to enable communication by or with any patron who is deaf or hard of hearing
  • in circumstances where removal of the mask is lawfully required for identification purposes
  • when the person is eating or drinking
  • if the person is a child under 12 years of age
  • if the person is carrying out functions as an authorised worker and it is not possible to properly carry out those functions with a mask on.
Page last updated: 23 July 2021