Restrictions on visits
Do not visit aged care facilities if you:
- have been directed by SA Police to self-quarantine
- have a fever or symptoms of a respiratory infection such as a cough, sore throat or shortness of breath
- have been in contact with:
- a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- anyone with a high temperature, fever, chills, symptoms of acute respiratory infection, or loss of taste and smell, in the last 72 hours
You cannot enter an aged care facility:
- if you have not been vaccinated against 2020 seasonal influenza
- if you have undertaken a COVID-19 test and are awaiting the test result.
Travellers from the following areas are not permitted to enter a South Australian residential aged care facility:
- New South Wales
- Greater Brisbane area.
If you are travelling from New South Wales or the Greater Brisbane Area for an end of life visit, you will need to be provided approval by SA Health and the visiting facility prior to travel.
If you cannot visit your family and friends in a residential aged care facility, it’s important to keep in touch. Make phone or video calls, send postcards, photos or artwork or film short videos to share.
Restrictions on facilities
From 17 November, personal care workers in residential aged care facilities must not work at more than one site. Masks are mandatory for staff where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
Residents of facilities will need to be isolated following a COVID-19 test until the result of their test is known. Nursing, medical, allied health and personal care workers are required to wear personal protective equipment when working within 1.5 metres of any resident awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test.
Operators of Residential Aged Care Facilities are required to follow a COVID-19 Infection Control Plan approved by the Department for Health and Wellbeing (SA) relating to all communal areas.
All people providing nursing care or personal care to residents must complete COVID-19 Infection Control Training determined by the Department for Health and Wellbeing (SA). Records of this training must be provided to an authorised officer on request.
More details available on the residential aged care direction.
Aged care facility visitation - COVID-19 - SA Health